Recalled Accu-Check Aviva Test Strips – Due to Cracked Reagent
About one year ago, March 7th 2018, Accu-Check issued a Class 2 Recall for it’s Aviva Plus test strips. These recalled accu-check aviva test strips have a self-life of about 18 months according to the diabetes council. If you use the accu-check monitors and have any old test strips it might be a good idea double check the lot numbers.
It’s important to stay on top of drug recalls. We have a great article about 5 ways to get breaking news on FDA recalls!
Why the Recall?
This recall was due to a product defect. The strips themselves either had problems where it was…
- Hard to apply a blood sample.
- The strips weren’t being detected by the glucomonitor.
- An inaccurate result was shown after testing.
What to do if you have a recalled lot
- Immediately stop using the test strips
- Go to this Website and get a Replacement, or
- Email email@example.com, or
- Call Accu-Chek Customer Careline at 1-800-358-4866 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 amand 8:00 pm Eastern Standard Time.
Should I Be Cautious of Accu-Check Products in the Future?
Since the recall, there have been no new recalls or safety alerts regarding the Roche Glucometers or the test strips. Also due to the recall being limited to these four lots, I feel confident that this was an isolated event. Still, you should keep on top of recalls and alerts. If you don’t feel like you can trust the Accu-Touch product line, watch for our upcoming post on the 4 Ways to get a Free Glucometer!